A Grand Room with vintage Victorian elegance and modern luxuries
Jenny and Ken have faithfully recreated a grand, elegant room of yesteryear in Ford House, built in 1896. The 3.6m high ceilings lord over the 8m x 4m room, with its extra wide jarrah floor boards, persian carpets and four poster king-size brass bed built in 1862.
The hand made Grannies flower garden quilt, two sets of French doors onto a terrace, bay window with Victorian drapes, together with the deep club chairs all add to the old-worlde charm. Yet, the amenities of modern day cannot be overlooked….. en-suite with views onto the garden, DVD with stereo, CDs, video and Foxtel cable TV, hair dryer, pot belly wood fire and waffled towelling robes.
The books are an added touch, as are the pure wool blankets. The French doors open onto a sea of azaleas and a garden splendid in all seasons.
History of the Grand Ballroom:
Built in 1896, this gracious home provides an wonderful reminder of days gone by. Set in five acres of garden & parkland, there a gentle feeling of a traditional English country garden estate. The Grand Ballroom, with its 3.6m high ceiling, two sets of French doors and a generous bay window, used to be the ballroom for Bridgetown in the 1920’s. Grand Victorian drapes, replete with swags and tails frame the extra large sash windows.
Locked up as a storage room for almost two decades, the extra wide jarrah floorboards are without blemish, spanning from one side of the room to the other without joins(or groans). The larger than king-size brass four-poster bed pre-dates the room by fourty years (c1862). It is plated in nickel, but much has worn off in its 140year old history. Jenny took three years to make the top of the king-size “Grannies Flower Garden” quilt, which was quilted by Maureen Hart over an entire winter in 2003.
An en-suite was added in 1986 by cutting off part of the adjacent corridor. Refurbished in 2003, the bathroom has a historic touch with a modern feel. The ballroom was re-opened as a guestroom in 2004.
Comfortable chesterfield lounges, a slow ticking clock, an extensive library and a log fire lulls guests into a sense of history, as if the first magistrate of the southwest, W.A.G. Walter, was still resting in the Sitting-room.
Grand Victorian drapes frame the view from the bay windows and French doors to the ancient English oak and the mighty Blackwood River. Next door, the Queensland cedar dining table is reflected by the wall cabinet filled with crystal and cup and saucer sets. This leads to the jarrah lined kitchen where limited cooking, a refrigerator and tea and coffee facilities are available.
Genuine relaxation is inevitable in the century old homestead.